How can you help? Volunteer your time and skills to help make this year's Science Bowl a success. Read about the volunteer opportunities on this page and click the Volunteer Registration link in the sidebar to become a TSB volunteer!
Opportunities for Volunteers
Training information is listed at the bottom of this page. Interested volunteers should email Manon Fleming for more info.
- Serves on a team of 12-15 volunteers
- Observes teams during round-robin competition and during breaks
- Collaborates to select most respectful and courteous team
- Assist students, coaches, volunteers, and guests with directions and general information
- Reads questions to teams
- Controls the match
- Science/engineering/math background preferred
- Volunteers assist with distributing team and volunteer information on Friday and/or Saturday.
- Ensures that all competition rules are followed
- Ensures that is it quiet
- Ensures that on one signals/communicates with the competitors
- Takes the official score sheet from the competition room to Science Bowl Central
- Runs errands for competition room officials, as required
- Ensures correct teams are in the competition room
- Ensures the moderator is reading questions from the correct round
- Ensures the moderator is reading the questions correctly (not skipping words, correct pronunciations)
- Set up the score sheet
- Keeps a running total of scores in the competition room
- Announce total at half-time and the final scores at the end of the game
- Sign official score sheet
- Focus on the time – not the game!
- Operates the official competition time clock
- Must know the competition rules
Training for All Volunteers
Attention: Training will be conducted in-person and on Zoom Tuesday, January 31st from 5:30 pm - 7:00 p.m. for Saturday competition room volunteers. Training is required for Moderators, Question Judges, and Rules Judges and is strongly recommended for Scorekeepers and Timekeepers with less than 3 years of experience.
Well prepared volunteers are crucial to the success of the competition!! An e-mail reminder about the training will be sent to volunteers in early January.
Interested volunteers should email Manon Fleming for more info.